Saturday, February 27, 2010

News! Updates!

Hello b.vikki vintage readers,

I've not forsaken you completely! Yes, it's been a long while since I've posted, but I wanted to share some news with you all and POSSIBLY get your help with a new venture:

I'll be freelancing for the next three month over at Zora&Alice (zora-alice.com), a new blog and monthly magazine aiming to start a new conversation about black women.



Read more about Zora&Alice HERE & below:
The Mission:

Zora&Alice magazine’s mission is to be the premier online destination for quality reporting and analysis on issues that affect contemporary, young black women. At any given time, we hope to accomplish three of the four:

  • To provide a fresh, intelligent voice for young black women
  • To empower and uplift young black women as they develop unique identities
  • To support and promote young black women as entrepreneurs, creators and pioneers
  • To wear power pumps and rule the world like the stone cold forces we know ourselves to be

About the Name:

Our name is inspired by the collection ” I Love Myself When I’m Laughing…And Then Again When I’m Looking Mean & Impressive,” an anthology of works by Zora Neale Hurston and edited by Alice Walker. Zora Neale Hurston was an iconoclast, underappreciated and condemned for her independence, whose many contributions to American literary canon would have been ignored were it not for the persistence of those she inspired, including Walker.

I've pursued more interests in my 23 years than I care to recount, but the constant through them all has been writing and literature. I'm very excited to be involved with Zora&Alice and hope you all will check it out in April at the time of its launch. Of course, I'll have lots to say about vintage fashion, among other things, so be sure to sign up for the Zora&Alice email list to stay updated on the magazine's progress.


Also, if you are, or know of any great black Etsy retailers, leave your/their info in the comments or email me at becca.oneal@gmail.com!



Last but not least, I've got about 20 vintage dresses on my hands and I'll be doing a giveaway VERY soon, so if you like winning free clothes, stay tuned for more info.



More posts coming soon!
;)

12 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading it.

    Tiffany
    http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zora & Alice is a fantastic idea that I could possibly contribute to in some way. I look forward to this new venture. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read your stuff for Zora & Alice. Sounds fantastic!

    pixiedrivein.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog and ended up spending 30+ minutes reading all your old posts. I love all the old photographs, very cool. Good luck with everything at Zora & Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I know this will be a great a success! And your enthusiasm and knowledge will be one of the factors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very exciting--congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's great news - by the way you are also Blog Of The Day at Alice Magazine: http://kathleenandthedreadedopium.com/alicemagazine/2010/03/b-vikki-vintage/

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I have to say I love the name of your magazine--my husband and I are actually naming our daughter-to-be Zora, so here's hoping your magazine is around for her to read when she's old enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your new freelance gig! Freelancing a good look. I will be pointing my browser the site as soon as I get my damn vacation photos squared away on Facebook. I'm so lame.

    ReplyDelete