Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My family in the 1950s & 1960s!

Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!

This blog has been up for over 2 weeks now, and aside from the photo in the side bar, I haven't posted any pictures of my family from the 50s & 60s. Here they are:

My greatgrandmother, Essie O'Neal (my father's grandmother), who lived around the corner from me for most of my life, is pictured below with her brother Norris Reed, Sr, in the late 40s or early 1950s. She passed in 2006. I miss her a lot.


My great grandmother Essie (far right) again, at a nightclub in what must have been the mid 1950s with other members of my family. She had a story about the photo - and the fact that the alcohol on the table wasn't hers... because she didn't drink. Even then!

(l-r)Napoleon Jr.(Buddy);Dorothy (Dot);McKinley (Kent); & Hiawatha Reed and Essie Reed-O'Neal

My greatgrandmother, Alma Williams, who died in 1972, 15 years before I was born. She is my grandmother (my mom's mom), Claudette's mother. They look just alike!

My greatgrandfather, Willie Williams, who I, unfortunately, never had the opportunity to meet; he died before I was born. This is my grandmother (my mom's mom), Claudette's father.


My grandfather, Fred O'Neal Jr. (my father's father - my father is Fred O'Neal III), at 16, in the early to mid 60s.
Here are my aunt Ida (center) and her sister Ora (second from right) in the early 1950s. This picture is of the members of their hairstyling club. Apparently, there are more pictures somewhere of them with some outrageous 'dos!

Ida and Ora are my grandmother Claudette's aunts... so that'd make them my great aunts.


My grandmother (my mom's mom), Claudette, in the early 1960s. Doesn't she look great? What a smart dress! And that hair! I was at her house earlier today, after shipping the first two b.vikki vintage sales, and she pulled out most of the photos in this post for me to upload on my blog.

I think she looks EXACTLY like my aunt Felicia in this picture, who modeled many of the b.vikki vintage dresses. Around the nose and mouth, I can see my mom in there too!


I've been bugging EVERYONE to dig up old photos, so I'll have more soon. These were the first few I was able to obtain.

More history to come!

Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!

9 comments:

  1. Great photos. Your family is gorgeous.
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are so neat!! I can definitely see your mom in that photo of your grandmother. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, I love looking at pictures from another era. You have a gorgeous family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH YOUR GREAT GRANNY AND HER BROTHER IN THE FIRST PICTURE WERE SIMPLY DIVINE! BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE! JUST BEAUTIFUL! GOOD LORD YOUR WHOLE FAMILY IS JUST BEAUTIFUL DARLING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. I too have a collection of old family pics. It always interesting to look at the clothing and how they dressed. Dressing properly was important to them. My mother would never let us be seen in public without dressing appropriately. Great website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesom blog!! Have we met before??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your family pictures are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome pictures, life in that time seems so easy and like no one had any problem and life were only good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am curious about blond hair on blacks and if they highlighted with blond. Do you have any insights?

    ReplyDelete