Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Assorted looks from 1959-1961

Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!



No ads this time! Just photographs of real outfits from 1959-1961. I'd have to say that this small two-year window encapsulates my favorite sartorial movement; unfortunately, the pictures included don't fully express what I love about the last 50s & early 60s, but they're still beautiful.





The mid to late 60s brought mod, which was nice, but the silhouettes were a-line, not fitted, and the hemlines were too short for my taste. The 40s were too structured, though there's occasionally a late 40s shirt dress that catches my attention - but I've never found one in person. The silhouette of the 50s and early 60s was so flattering ... and for nearly ANY body shape: a lot of fitted torsos - accentuating the narrowest part of a woman's body and either fitted through the hip and loose on the thigh or flared after a true or empire waist into a full or circle skirt. Wiggle dresses, fit and flare, and shirt dresses galore!








If I had the resources, my entire wardrobe would consist of the silhouettes described above and lots of kitten heels, solid opaque and printed tights, and cardigans. Maybe that's why I love Michelle Obama's style so much! Speaking of, here's a look book of all of her public appearances.







Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!

2 comments: