Monday, October 5, 2009

Vintage Hair Straightening ads from 1958-1969

Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!


The ads featured in this posts are for the following hair straightening products: Hair Strate, Perma Strate, and Ever-Perm (the last of which reminds me of this scene from Coming to America).

Regardless of your stance on chemically treated or natural hair, I think we can all find the first three ads amusing. I've been natural for 8 years and rarely ever straighten my hair, but I can VIVIDLY remember refusing to participate in gym class in high school for fear of sweating out my pressed hair. So the concept of hair *GOING BACK* or reverting is not at all foreign to me.






These are downright hilarious. As for the ads below, the styling is beautiful!



Her expression, that sweater, the cinched bow at the waist, and what I imagine must be a full skirt. Perfect. And she's completely captured the attention of the equally stylish gentleman behind her.

This idea, this delicate, coquettish, yet powerful and very feminine confidence is what I think each b.vikki vintage piece captures (pictures coming VERY soon). I've searched high and low for the perfect 1950s and early 1960s dresses, shoes, cardigans, and more and I think I've put together a great collection for the launch of b.vikki vintage.









This ad differs greatly from those above, and for that reason, it caught my attention. I think the departure can be explained by the fact that this ad debuted in 1966, the crux of the Mod Era. The blocky, bold typeface, the geometric artwork screams mod.


Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!

1 comment:

  1. I ca see those products really worked in that time because that woman had a horrible hair and products worked really well in that woman.m10m

    ReplyDelete