Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pete Campbell reads Ebony Magazine!

Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!


I finally saw the latest episode of Mad Men and it was terrific! And what's more, Pete Campbell was skimming through an issue of Ebony Magazine from 1963! Amazing!

For readers who don't watch Mad Men: Pete Campbell is a young advertising executive in 1963 Manhattan. His job is to please the clients; he's an account man. He's also, most often, a weasel and generally unlikeable character driven by bald ambition. In recent episodes he suggested to a client that advertising to African-American (potential) costumers may be beneficial, only to be shot down by not only the client, but his higher ups.



In the pitch meeting, he pulled out copies of Ebony and Jet as well, and describes them as publications "for Negroes, by Negroes" in which ad space is available for much cheaper than in mainstream publications for "pennies on the dollar".

By George! Pete's on to something!

But, don't get too excited. This character is nothing if not persistent, but I wouldn't attribute that to any overwhelming progressiveness on his part. Peter Campbell would do ANYTHING to get ahead, including trying to blackmail his coworkers/boss.

Still, what a timely reference. If the writers allow this to progress, Pete has just moseyed into a gold mine. More than likely, it's another impotent attempt on his part to scratch at the rungs of the ladder of success.

Sometime, it's impossible not to feel bad for the guy. After all, he DID invent direct marketing:

"Direct Marketing. I thought of that. Turns out it already existed, but I arrived at it independently."

Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!

1 comment:

  1. Why are everyone looking for ways online to get help solving their pregnancy and infertility problems when most of every native American is talking online about the help of Dr Mandaker Alamun. I checked him out when my husband who could not get me pregnant for over 9 years of marriage as a result of low sperm count became fertile and now, I am 5 months pregnant and it is this man known as Dr Mandaker who helped my husband solve his problem. My name is Alecia Maldonado from CA USA. I would advise anyone and everyone who needs the help of any spell caster in love marriage,finance, job promotion,lottery spell,poker spell,golf spell,Law & Court case Spells,money spell,weigh loss spell,diabetic spell,hypertensive spell,high cholesterol spell,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need spiritual marriage separation),good Luck, Money Spells,he also heal HIV and AID and it's all he does or looking for breakthrough in your political career to meet this Dr Mandaker the link to his website copy this link (witch-doctor.page4.me)His email contact witchhealing@outlook.com for He is a Reliable and trustworthy. I and my husband have gone to different hospitals having the thinking that I was at fault for not getting pregnant. But at the Federal hospital, they examined him too and his sperm count was low and unable to get a woman pregnant as a result of male infertility. It was then I sort out,thanks to Dr Mandaker.

    ReplyDelete