Wednesday, October 28, 2009

1950s photos!

Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!


I may be my local library's number one patron... especially because these days I'm checking out more than novels, anthologies, and essays and have progressed to photography collections.

The pictures in this post are from Introduction to African American Photographs: 1840-1950 - Identification, Research, Care, & Collecting by Ross J. Kelbaugh and Black Style edited by Carol Tulloch.



Neither of these books were particularly fruitful when searching them for examples of Black fashion in the 1960s, but together, they produced five great 1950s photographs.

The two photos above are from Introduction, which was quite informative. If I ever find tangible vintage African American photographs, I'll have to reacquaint myself with Kelbaugh's book for dating and identification.




The editing in Black Style was a bit lacklucker, as you may have detected from the three captions above, and the content was scattered and aimless, but I can tell it's the kind of book that was probably an assignment for the editor among many similar and dissimilar photo compilations. That said, anytime I find great pictures like the ones in this post, it was time well spent!

Don't forget to visit b.vikki vintage on Etsy!

4 comments:

  1. Just arrived from Black Nerds, and it is freakin' awesome to find a vintage site featuring women of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this helped me for a monolouge i had to perform

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures, love the one called "the unidentified lady", she looks so happy and comfortable sitting in that chair, like life is alright and there is nothing to worry.

    ReplyDelete